Portrait to honour LMH scout

LMH Scout 3Lady Margaret Hall unveiled a portrait of a scout who has worked at the college for 30 years this week in recognition of her service to the college.

The portrait, which was painted by local Paul Saville, will hang in a prominent position within the college for a number

of months before joining some of Mr Saville’s other work in an exhibition.

The college commented: “We were very pleased to unveil a portrait of one of our long-serving scouts, Mrs Sandra Brown.”

“Sandra has been working at LMH since 4th January 1983, so it is particularly timely that we are able to hang the portrait for a few months until it appears in an exhibition of Paul’s work in March.”

Mr Saville is connected to LMH through his work as Programme Director for the ASA Summer School for students from the US and created this portrait after taking photographs and a number of sketches of Mrs Brown.

Many students were proud of the symbol that this portrait sent out about the College.

Catriona MacMahon, the vice-president of Lady Margaret Hall JCR, said that: “It is a fantastic thing that the College is recognising our long term staff in this way.  She is a well-known face around College and it’s great that this is the kind of college that LMH is.”

Amy Tortoishell, a second-year history student at Lady Margaret Hall, agreed, saying: “I think it says great things about the College that we honour our scouts in this manner.

“Sandra has performed a long and dedicated service and so this portrait is a well-earned sign of the appreciation of the College.”

Unfortunately, Mrs Brown was away on holiday and so was not able to comment on the portrait.