Live Blog: Xchanging Blues v Brookes Varsity 2013 (5-2 Blues FT)

IMG_5218Read a live blog from the second annual Xchanging Blues v Brookes Varsity match at Iffley Road.

90+5 FULL TIME – a great game at Iffley, with the Blues deservedly picking up all 3 points. Goals from Grimer, Jamison, Beck-Friis and Austin put the game beyond doubt in the first half, with Adam Healy preserving the lead late on. A commanding performance from the boys who make it two out of two in the Brookes Varsity stakes.

The streaker will steal the headlines, albeit without his hilarious “F**k off Oxford Uni” message emblazoned on his back, while the other Brookes’ fans deserve an honourable mention for their excellent chat all night.

streakerA mini plug from sponsors Xchanging who shared the press box with us that their grad scheme deadline closes on 14 Feb.

Thanks for reading, that’s all from Resty, Clifford and Charles, have a great weekend and look forward to a bumper match report & pics in next week’s OxStu.

Over & out x

90+1 Check out this week’s OxStu for some cracking snaps from Matt Handley, our pitchside snapper.

90 minutes As the game heads into Fergie time, the streaker is nowhere to be seen. Security have his clothes so we can only assume he’s legged it down the Iffley Road.

IMG_525187 minutes ITS THE SAME GUY AS LAST YEAR! HE’S BACK! Last year’s streaker who hit the headlines in the OxStu vaults the security barriers more expertly than Dai Greene at the Olympics, evades all the security and heads for the trees. A sublime performance from the Brookes’ exhibitionist.

86 minutes The crowd have been fiesty tonight, but sadly no sign of last year’s streaker, who made our back pages.

84 minutes Charles’s housemate Luke Devereux comes on to rapturous applause for Lincoln hero Super Alex Biggs. Clifford the Big Red Dog Matt Handley notes that a “Kevin Davies esque striker” is being hauled off by Brookes.

80 minutes If you’ve just joined us, Blues are 4-2 up and have a corner. Super Alex Biggs whips it in, and Adam Healy rises from the bench to nod home a 5th to restore the 3-goal advantage. The Blues of Chelsea may be letting leads slip for fun but their Oxford namesakes are making no mistake tonight.

79 minutes The crowd has well and truly gone silent – no doubt the Brookes’ self-styled “ultras” have sung themselves hoarse. A pity, Brookes’ need their 12th man more than at any point so far this evening.

76 minutes Couple of chances for Brookes, their centre forward blazing over with a powerful effort from 18 yards before a another scramble was eventually dealt with. That said, for a side trailing by 2 goals with 15 to play Brookes have all the urgency of a Corpus Tortoise.

71 minutes “Shoes off if you love the Brookes,” is perhaps the most surreal chant I’ve ever heard at the football. “You’ve only got one pair,” reply the Blues faithul. Bearing in mind we’re doing this live blog from a physio room in a ground that looks like Brighton’s old Withdean stadium, you’ll understand my sentiments.

70 minutes Tweet @clm52 and @matthandley92 if you think the “Miracle of Iffley” is on. With these officials I think there’ll be a further twist in this tale.

65 Oxford cruelly denied a 5th almost immediately though, but skipper Sam Donald’s looping strike is chalked offside by the overage lino. Another bizarre decision from the officials, who seem to be watching this game as closely as Arsene Wenger.

64 minutes GOAL TO BROOKES Blues concede the softest penalty you’ll ever see and Brookes reduce the deficit to just two goals.

63 minutes The ref motions to his pocket to brandish the first card of the evening, but the Brookes midfielder gets away with a warning.

61 minutes The impressive Beck-Friis makes way for Ben May. The Swede’s brave diving header amongst the flying boots to put his side 3-0 up will go down in Varsity folklore.

57 minutes “Does your mother know you’re here,” sing the Brookes’ fans at the 11-year-old linesman. Could the songbook finally be running dry?

55 minutes “Super” Alex Biggs cops some stick as he pumps another ball into the Brookes box. The man who sorts out your cuppers ties has organised the midfield expertly tonight.

52 Minutes A Blues sub wearing 15 but who definitely isn’t Luke Devereux nearly makes it 5, and Beck-Friis fires the rebound wide.

49 Minutes Chants of “We’ve got Mark Jamison” from the Hugh’s contingent amongst the Blues’ faithful. Another Hugh’s legend, our very own Big Dog Matt Handley, gets a chant of “Who’s the hipster in the coat” as he moves pitchside. Not a very good Geoff Shreeves impersonation.

Half Time Heartwarming scenes, unconfirmed reports that the 11-year-old linesman is the ref’s son. The lad has also been running the line for 2 years. Mark Clattenburg watch out…

45+1 Minutes

Half-time

44 Minutes

‘Let’s pretend we scored a goal’ sing Brookes’ fans. Two minutes later they don’t need to as a silly free-kick on the edge of the box gifts them with a goal. Unfortunately the kit design makes the number indecipherable so we don’t know who scored it. Comment if you have any idea.

42 Minutes

The Blues see two chances go begging. The first a header from Julian Austin hits the bar, before being ruled out for offside by the work experience kid running the line. A cross two minutes later rolls tantalizing across the mouth of the goal, but Grimer can’t hit it in

40 Minutes

‘You pay our benefits’ chant the Brookes fans. Someone’s being reading our comment section

39 Minutes

Blues right-back Dan Bassett throws himself into a tackle, hitting the ball onto the roof of Iffley’s stand. A replacement is quickly found

35 Minutes

It’s  very nearly 5 as the ball cannons off the bar twice. Once again the goal-line technology debate is re-opened as the Blues  claim a goal but the twelve year old linesman keeps his flag firmly to his side

33 Minutes

Tom Haigh finally gets a touch in the Oxford goal, snuffling a tame cross  from the Brookes right wing. It’s the first time they’ve entered the box.

30 Minutes

We can’t  keep up as Julian Austin, scorer of a brace in last year’s victory, makes it 4-0. Brookes are all over the place in defence once again as Worcester’s fiery haired  central midfielder, is the first to the ball in the box and slots it beautifully into the bottom right corner.

25 Minutes

3-0 and, to quote Martin Tylr c.Fifa 2010 ‘this game is beginnig to feel like a foregone conclusion.’ A catastrophic mix-up between Brookes centre-back Joe Sturia and keeper Sam Cole sees the defender head into the empty space of the six yard box. Peder Beck-Fiis leaps on the chance to slam the ball into the empty net for his 4th of the season

22 Minutes

Then they revert to ‘rather be a poly than a cunt’ 6/10

21 Minutes

The Brookes fans are showing marginally more inventiveness, chanting “Does your butler know you’re here?’

18 Minutes

Brookes beginning to get back into the game, some nice passing moves in the middle of the pitch denying Oxford possession. The Blues defence is holding firm though, and they’re yet to craft a proper chance

16 Minutes

Follow more of the action with James Restall on Twitter: @restyrestall

13 Minutes

And they get the second! Mark Jamison, the man who saw in his 21st with Oktoberfest, thunders a header past the grasping hands of Brookes keeper Sam Cole on only his second Blues . 2-0 and the onslaught look likes it won’t stop

11 Minutes

The Blues get a free-kick in a dangerous position, and it’s whipped in by Alex Biggs. A scramble sees it cleared but Blues are dominant here…

8 Mins

Linesman genuinely looks about ten. At least it’s not a school night

5 Mins

Appeals for a penalty from the Brookes fans, who are living up their reputation as noisy neighbours, after the ball strikes Blues centre-back Mark Jamison’s midrift. The referee is unimpressed though and play continues

3 mins

Grimer nearly has another, a pass once again causing all sorts of trouble for Brookes right back Fabian Eriksen, but he eventually recovers to knock the ball back to his keeper

2 mins

And we’re off with a bang, a defensive error gifting Blues winger Ed Grimer with an early goal, rounding the keeper for his sixth goal of the season in his 22nd apperance

Welcome to Iffley where we’re live blogging the 2nd annual Brookes Varsity, where we’ll be providing live updates from my phone! #technologyissues