Local Heroes: The Marvellous Medicine Interviewed

Entertainment Music and Art

marvellous medicineWhere does your name come from? Fond memories of Calpol?

The name just captures our eccentric, fun-loving attitude to music-making – we also like the idea of music as a tonic to put you in good spirit, sway your mood.

Who are you and what do you study?

5 of us are at St Peter’s, Jake is at St Benet’s. Piers, Holly and George study music; Jake classics, Jamie maths, Rob English.

How would you describe your music?

Our music’s reggae, folk, jazz, afrobeat – probably the result of a colourful blend of personalities, each with a distinct musical background.

What have been your experiences of gigging in Oxford?

Our favourite Oxford gigs have inevitably entailed Kings of the Day, Jimmy from Cellar’s laconic wit, and grooving pre-set to the Foal’s Inhaler at the Wheatsheaf.

If you were all taking part in Come Dine With Me, what would you cook?

Jamie would make tomato ketchup with jerk chicken. Piers would serve a Domino’s meat feast and eat it independently, in silence. Rob would grow vegetables from seed and eat them raw. Jake would force his girlfriend to cook. Holly would probably cook a couple of turkeys with cranberry sauce. George would cook mince with cumin and pine nuts, then add stock, braise eggs and fry tomatoes, then would serve with some harissa paste and natural yoghurt with lemon juice and tahini.

If you had a bonafide Band Feud, what would it be about?

George’s unconfinable bass cameo in Girl Back Home has caused considerable band angst.

Who would you most like to support on tour?

On tour we’d love to support Gabe Broadhurst and the Sweet Maries, and the Manatees – for musical as well as practical reasons.

Do you have any groupies? (That you know of…) 

Our two groupies are Sarah Godlee and George Hammond. Both have had knee operations in the past year. George and Sarah, if you are reading this our thoughts are with you.

What’s the immediate future looking like for Marvellous Medicine?

The immediate future is pretty cosy – we’re marvelling over David Attenbrough’s Africa with its duelling giraffes, horny beetles, and wheeling spiders. On the subject of spiders, we’re embarking on our most exciting project ever with a producer who goes by the name of Spider. He’s probably the loveliest man we’ve ever met. He’s Lee Scratch Perry’s bandleader and works with Estelle and produced Shy FX’s ‘Original Nuttah’. We will name the EP ‘Spider’ in his honour.

PHOTO/The Marvellous Medicine