Byte-Sized Science – 7 February 2013

Science and Technology

MoonLunar living project underway

The prospect of living on the moon is fast approaching, plans are being developed for a inflatable four person dwelling on the south pole of the moon. This structure would be completed by a team of robots wielding 3D printers which would convert the mineral rich surface soils of the moon into a protective covering for the building. The architects Foster and partners who have been working on more terrestrial projects such as the Wembley Stadium and the World Trade Centre are very excited by such a ground breaking project and hope to get underway with the building in 2020 when the 3D printers are completed.

TwitterTwitter troubles

A quarter of a million Twitter users have had their accounts hacked and their passwords, usernames, emails and other data stolen. This wide-scale internet security breach is highly sophisticated and not thought to be the work of amateurs. Affected users have had their passwords invalidated and have been sent emails informing them. However, users are warned to be aware of spam emails ‘phishing’ for sensitive information, they should not click on links in emails asking them to change their password but should instead log in normally and follow the instructions on the Twitter site.

Ben GoldacrePublication bias in medicine costs lives

A petition has been set up by AllTrials in order to ensure all pharmaceutical trials are registered and all methods and results are fully reported. Thousands of clinical trials have not reported their results and some have not even been registered. This can go on to have serious repercussions including bad treatment decisions, missed opportunities for good medicine and potentially harmful trials being repeated. Ben Goldacre, author of Bad Science and Bad Pharma has said, ‘Positive findings are around twice as likely to be published as negative findings. This is a cancer at the core of evidence-based medicine’. The petition can be found at www.alltrials.net

PHOTO/penguinbush; photologue_np; Loz Flowers