Mump’s the word

Mumps_virions,_thin_sectioned_TEM_8757_loresStudents at Christ Church and Lincoln have been warned of a potential mumps outbreak, after a student at Christ Church contracted the viral disease.

Emails were sent out informing members of what to do if they were to contract mumps.

A document was mailed out to Christ Church students on Thursday from the Senior Censor, Dr Ian Watson, saying: “There is a confirmed case of Mumps in Christ Church so I have outlined what you should do below.”

Dr Watson went on to list expected symptoms: “If you catch mumps, you will usually have very painful swellings below each ear, ‘hamster’ face + cold and flu symptoms including: headache, joint pain, temperature, general malaise.”

Students were informed that if they were diagnosed they would be “sent home until you are no longer infectious OR you must stay in your room and meals will be arranged and will be left outside your door. You will be considered contagious for one – two days before symptoms appear and for five days after.”

Dr Watson also urged all students to check with their parents if they had the MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) vaccine as a baby, and if not, to get vaccinated as soon as possible.

He recommended the following treatment: “Relieve symptoms with pain relief such as soluble paracetamol and ibuprofen as there is no cure. Sucking ice can help as can your favourite throat lozenge.

“You can eat what you like but a soft diet and soups is best and you should drink lots of water.”

It is understood that as yet no further students have contracted mumps. A second-year student at Christ Church commented:  “The guy who has the mumps is a third-year, and, as far as I’m able to ascertain, it’s an isolated incident.” Another Christ Church student backed up this account.

The warning was also circulated to Lincoln students via email.