Blues battle to win over Army

Sport University Sport
Sam Egerton goes over for the Blues
Sam Egerton goes over for the Blues

On a chilly night at Aldershot, a young Blues team defeated the Army for the first time since 2008 showing the talent that the next generation of OURFC had to offer.

The Army started the match the strongly, but could not turn early pressure into points with their fly-half missing two relatively easy penalty opportunities in the first 10 minutes. The Blues came away from their first foray with points when a well executed rolling maul from 20 metres was finished off by flanker Gus Jones. The Army hit back almost immediately when their fly-half was successful with his third penalty attempt, but Oxford had the advantage at the interval, 12-3.

After the break, Egerton showed great awareness and speed to exploit a gap in the blind-side defence for an unconverted try in the corner after just 5 minutes. The Army were not about to roll over and soon hit back when their giant Fijian second row was driven over from a 5-metre line-out. However Will Rowlands raced in for the game’s best try, when he showed impressive pace and agility for a 6’ 7” second row to beat three defenders, and Oxford came out victorious with the final score 24-13. Having beaten arguably the strongest of the three services side, the Blues can look ahead with a degree of optimism to the visit of the Royal Navy.