ad1

Sailing: National Qualifiers

BUCs womenAt Draycote Water near Warwick, Oxford University Yacht Club competed in the regional qualification stages of this year’s BUCS Team-Racing Championships. These qualifiers mark the beginning of an exciting season for Oxford, whose Blues team have won Gold in the national BUCS Team-Racing Championships twice in the last four years.

Arriving on Saturday morning, the teams were treated to great strong-wind sailing conditions, which made the tight manoeuvres required in team racing all the more challenging. The Blues team raced well to finish the day at the top of the leader board with 6 wins from 6, whilst the second and third teams, both newly-formed this season, were on even win/loss ratios. A further nine races followed for each team: the Blues’ success continued, finishing with 14 race wins out of 15, placing them second overall and comfortably earning them a place at the national Finals. However after a few tough races to begin the day, both the second and third teams narrowly missed out on Playoff spots, thus ending their BUCS Championships journey this season.  After their strong performance, the Blues team has a full racing schedule this term in preparation for the national BUCS Finals in April and their Varsity match at the end of the season in July.

PHOTO/Charlotte Cole