Local Heroes: Interview with Truck Store

Art & Lit Music

Hi Truck Store! You’re known as a big deal here in Oxford . So what and who exactly are you?

We are Oxford’s only independent record store and music hub down on the Cowley Road.

We’ve heard you now have a Keen Bean coffee club. Surely an ill-fated plan as someone’s bound to spill their macchiato on their newly purchased vinyl?

Yes the Keen Bean opened back in November and we’re really pleased to share the space with them. They serve excellent coffee which is gaining a reputation as some of the best in Oxford so I can’t see anyone spilling a drop of it! Touch wood we’ve not had any disasters yet!

You’re renowned for your in-store live shows. For your next one: Carly Rae Jepson or the Chuckle Brothers?

I’m not sure the Chuckle Brothers are releasing an album any time soon so Carly Rae Jepson all the way! ‘Call Me Maybe’ is one of the best songs of last year! Fact!

Which is your favourite band to emerge from Oxford?

Well it would be wrong to single out just one group as we try to be supportive of the whole scene here. Oxford is bursting with talent and we’re proud to be able to support and nurture up-and-coming bands as well as established acts. The next couple of months should be big for us with both Foals and Stornoway coming back with new albums! Exciting times!

Ever had any embarrassing customer-related incidents?

Record shops do have a knack for attracting some of the more eccentric personalities and Cowley Road is most definitely home to a few characters… I wouldn’t say we’ve had embarrassing incidents as such, perhaps a few eye-opening conversations would be the safest way to put it!

What’s the quintessential Truck Store track?

We’re very much into albums over tracks, but probably something from 2012’s official ‘Truck Store Album of the Year’ Oshin by DIIV… The song ‘Doused’ is pretty special! ’

How would Truck Store achieve world peace?

Through the power of Ghanaian disco! Seriously, check out Kiki Gyan’s ‘24 Hours In a Disco’, that song can achieve anything!

Anything exciting coming up at Truck Store imminently?

As always there’s lots going on, this coming weekend, Feb 10th, is our second anniversary so we’re throwing an all day in-store with a very special headline performance from Trophy Wife! Looking to the future, April 20th is Record Store Day which is always a big deal for us.

Truck Store can be found at 101 Cowley Road, OX4 1HU