The Oxstu New Music playlist: 04/04/13

Music and Art

Feel like your music habits have beome a tad passé? Worried your Spotify Top Tracks are hangovers from 2012?  Well, salvation comes in the first of many new weekly online columns from David Lee Astley as he rounds up the freshest new releases hitting the music scene. It’s a diverse bunch of tunes on offer this week but Music Editor’s pick goes to Majical Cloudz’s ‘Childhood’s End’ for its aching vocals and trippin’ undercurrent house beat. Post your thoughts in the comment box below.

1.  Black Milk – Sunday’s Best / Monday’s Worst
Moving on from last years collaboration with Jack White, Black Milk releases a split track as his first outing of 2013. Black Milk’s music has always nodded to J. Dilla and this track is no different with gospel choir (‘Sunday’s…’) and organ samples (Monday’s…)

2.  Savages – She Will
Less than a year and a half ago Savages played their first gig – now they are signed to Matador and are releasing their debut LP in May. ‘She Will’ is the first track off that record, ‘Silence Yourself’, and it builds the excitement for one of the years most anticipated albums.

3. Majical Cloudz – Childhood’s End
Devon Welch, one half of Majical Cloudz, says his forthcoming debut (‘Impersonator’) is “not meant to energize and turn you out to the world, it’s meant to do the opposite; it’s more like a cocoon.” This lead track certainly does that with soft electronics, strings and Welch’s evocative vocals.

4. Shlohmo – Bo Peep (Do U Right) ft. Jeremih 
Yours Truly brought together the current go-to producer and last years break out R&B vocalist to make a video and they ended up making ‘Bo Peep.’ A big thanks is in order for Yours Truly for facilitating the creation of this gem.

5. Deptford Goth – Bronze Age
One of the standout tracks off Daniel Woodhouse’s recently released record ‘Life After Defo,’ which lines up with contemporaries like Active Child or How To Dress Well. Skittish beats and swirling samples create an experimental pop base for Woodhouse’s soft and intimate vocals.

6.  Emperor Zero – Mental Health Café
Two years after their debut 7”, Emperor Zero are back with more industrial and agitated post-punk for their second release on Sways Records. This time round they have taken inspiration from Sarah Kane’s ‘4.48 Psychosis’  and made a fittingly intense video to accompany the track.

Emperor Zero, Mental Health Café (SWAYS016) from Sways Records on Vimeo.