Cowley machete attack

Local News News University News

5455939124_f953b0eaaa_bA man was left wounded after being attacked with a machete on Crowell Road, Cowley on Friday.

The incident occurred at around 2.53pm on Friday 26th April, as the victim, a 27-year-old man, drove along Crowell Road.

He was approached by a pedestrian wielding a machete, who subsequently attacked him, before escaping the scene on foot. The victim sustained cuts to his hands, though it is understood his injuries were not serious.

Detective Inspector John Turner was keen to allay fears that this was a freak incident: ”We would like to reassure the public that this was not a random attack as we believe the victim and the offender are known to each other.

“We would urge anyone who witnessed or has information about the incident to contact the police immediately.”

Students expressed shock and surprise at such incidents taking place so nearby. A first year engineer commented: “In all seriousness its pretty shocking to think that something like that could happen so close to ‘home’. When you think machete incident you think 3rd world country.“If you’re in Cowley you’d better be sharp eyed.”

Another student, a St John’s fresher, echoed this, commenting: “Well firstly it is completely shocking, that something of that kind would and could happen so close to where we live is a surprise.”

He described the incident as “horrible and very unsettling,” before asking: “Where do you even get a machete?”

If you have any information please contact the Thames Valley Police Enquiry Centre on 101.

If you don’t want to speak directly to the police you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org. No personal details are taken, information is not traced or recorded and you will not go to court.