Authentics cruise to win in BUCS opener

Sport University Sport

tics - Oxford University Sport and CricketThis weekend the Authentics cricket team played their first game in this year’s BUCS campaign. The competition is divided into leagues of six teams, with all teams playing each other once in a 50 over format and the winners of the regional leagues playing in a knockout competition. Last year the team had a promising start to the season but didn’t make it to the finals, due to the large amount of weather-affected games. So far this year the Authentics have won three out of their four opening games. A strong fresher intake and experienced core bodes well for the BUCS competition.

Oxford sent out a strong side on Sunday to face Cranfield University at Marston. Last year the Authentic lost a well-fought high scoring game away in Bedfordshire. On this overcast Sunday the Authentics bowled first against Cranfield, hoping to put pressure on the travelling side on a typical English early-season green top. Oxford’s pace men put in a fantastic performance with wickets falling consistently, and the field applying pressure on the Cranfield batsmen throughout the innings. The result was that Cranfield were bowled out for 44.

Wickets were shared amongst the bowlers, with fresher Sam Packer taking four off six overs. There were also solid contributions from Tom Partridge (2-6) and Rhodri Hopes (2-10). Oxford’s opening pair of fresher Rob Wight and seasoned veteran Jeremy Holt did everything but secure the win for their team. Unfortunately Holt was dismissed with just two needed to win. Captain Hugo Gravell and Rob Wight saw a comfortable nine wicket win home for the Authentics.

Another comprehensive victory this weekend shows the quality and depth of this squad. The Authentics are away in Cambridge at Anglia Ruskin University this coming Wednesday for their next BUCS match. The Tics have had a very promising start to the season so far with a great chance of BUCS promotion and a sought-after 3-0 varsity win this year.

PHOTO/Oxford University Sport and Cricket