Tics fall short against Anglia Ruskin

Sport University Sport

anglia ruskin - Oxford University Sport and CricketOn Wednesday the Authentics cricket team travelled to Cambridge to face Anglia Ruskin in their second BUCS game of the season. It goes without saying that Tab-shoeing is always a great incentive in Oxford sport, but sights on BUCS promotion following a good weekend win gave good prospects for this match.

Oxford Captain Gravell lost the toss and the Authentics went out to field on a fine blue-skied day, and on a dry, grass-free hard wicket- conditions perfect for batting. Johnston and Harrison opened the bowling for Oxford, and both bowled very tight lines and challenging areas. Harrison made the first breakthrough with an edge flying through to the safe hands of Holt at gully. Anglia Ruskin’s batsmen showed determination in giving their side some runs on the board, looking in a comfortable position at 120-1 at the drinks break. After a few dropped chances, Lodhia made a breakthrough after a mistimed flick was grasped by Tester at mid-wicket. From here Oxford’s four-pronged pace attack tightened the screws, with Packer, Down, Johnston and Harrison piling pressure on the Anglia Ruskin batsmen. After a controlled end to the game ARU finished on 210, a good performance from the Authentics on a very batsman-friendly wicket. Harrison and Packer performed admirably, taking 4 and 3 wickets respectively.

Oxford replied with a strong start chasing 4 an over: Mohamed and Holt scoring runs all round the ground. Unfortunately, as was the case for most batsmen in this innings, neither managed to make a crucial contribution, both getting in and getting out. After Mohamed (15) and Holt (42) were dismissed, Oxford lost wickets at regular intervals, but still had a chance of winning the game due to the manageable required run-rate. Tester (45) and Smith (22) put on a strong partnership together; but just like the other batsmen, fell after setting themselves. Oxford fell short of their target by 40 runs. Although the batting performance was the key to their loss, the Authentics have many positives to take away from this game: depth and quality of batting throughout the order, and consistency in the bowling department are sure to pay off in the next BUCS game against Nottingham Trent University next Wednesday.

PHOTO/Oxford University Sport and Cricket