Cowley store held at gunpoint

Local News News

It was pistols at dawn in Cowley last Thursday as  two masked robbers held staff of a newsagent at gunpoint.

Thieves entered Hackett’s News just after 7am and ordered owner Gordon Hackett to hand over money before threatening him with a handgun

Hackett refused to give them the cash, but the two men pushed him over to clear the way. The thieves, disguised in balaclavas and dark clothing, then proceeded to steal cash and cigarettes worth over £100 before fleeing the scene.

Police reports suggest the getaway vehicle may have been a green car.

No shots were fired during the raid but Hackett suffered a cut to the nose, with one of the officers investigating the raid commenting: “He’s lucky he was not more seriously hurt.”

The shop was cordoned off for forensic investigations, but it was reopened soon after.

Dawn Allsopp, an assistant at the store said: “Gordon won’t be beaten by this. As soon as the shop was open again, he went straight back to work.

“He was shaken up but he’s a British bulldog and he won’t let anyone bully him.

“He has run this shop for the past 20 years and he’s not going to give up. The shop serves the community and it’s so unfair that he has been robbed.”

Hackett’s was also robbed in 2006, after teenagers armed with a meat cleaver entered and demanded money.

Police describe one robber as Asian, about 6ft tall, of medium build and in his mid-thirties. The second was described as of similar height and build.

The investigating officer for the case, Detective Sergeant Rhian Evans, said: “I would like to reassure members of the public that incidents such as these are very rare.

“If anyone has any information about the incident I would urge them to contact the police immediately.”

Anyone with information should contact police on 101 or anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.