Fire in Gloucester Green

College News Local News News University News

A fire broke out in the Falafel House food stall in Gloucester Green on Saturday. Two fire engines were called to the scene at 6.37pm to tackle the blaze. Firefighters pried open the shutters, hosing down the permanent food stall before climbing inside to deal with the flames. The fire was caused by cleaning cloths igniting on an electric device.

The area was cordoned off for approximately half an hour, with one bystander observing: “Lots of people congregated around the cordon to watch.” Tom Ough, a second year at St John’s commented: “I could not be more distraught at the fiery demise of my fourth favourite open plan fast food shop on that corner of Gloucester Green.”

Liked reading this article? Sign up to our weekly mailing list to receive a summary of our best articles each week – click here to register

Want to contribute? Join our contributors group here or email us – click here for contact details