The Only Way is Keble

College News News University News

Keble’s JCR President, James Newton, has had his head shaved in the style of The Only Way Is Essex (TOWIE) cast member Joey Essex for charity.

The haircut was the finale of a hustings challenge for the position of Charities Representative, which took place during the JCR meeting on Sunday. The competitors had to raise money for charity by sponsoring Newton to have his hair cut in this manner.

In the 15 minutes before the end of the meeting the only candidate for the position, Georgina Ndukwe, managed to raise £103.

Ndukwe, a first year from Keble, commented: “When I was told my hustings challenge, I grabbed a baking tin and attached a quickly penned, heart-felt note summing up my desperation in a ‘Please Give Generously’.

“The response was so positive – and as usual, Keble pulled it out of the bag in the generosity stakes! It was all worth it to see photos of our current JCR President sporting his new ‘Joey Essex’ haircut – not one that many can pull off but made to look effortless by the one and only James Newton.”

The haircut was then immediately administered by an untrained hairdresser in front of an eagerly watching crowd within Keble.

James Newton, JCR President and now Joey Essex look-a-like, commented: “I initially had my reservations about the hair style. But after hearing that Joey Essex himself would be coming to Park End this term, my reservations turned to sheer delight to meet my doppelganger.”

Joey Essex, who was born and raised in Essex, lists his interests as tight shorts, orange Ugg boots, poisonous frogs, planking, pie ‘n’ mash and looking ‘fusey’.

James Newton, who was also born and raised in Essex, lists his interests as masonic history in the Middle East, long walks on the beach, and the wellbeing of the Keble JCR.

Holly Meehan, Newton’s hairdresser and TOWIE enthusiast, said: “This haircut pushed my creativity to the limits.

“There were some dark spells, but with the help of the supportive crowds, we mastered the challenges.

“Emails are now flooding in with requests for a similar haircut, and soon the whole of Keble will be sporting the Essex look.”

Joey Essex was unavailable for comment.