Marauders a bridge too far for Blues in 7s final

Sport University Sport
OURWFC take on Norway
OUWRFC take on Norway

The OURFC Invitational 7’s Tournament boasted six teams from across the country, including Leeds Rugby Academy, and a team from Bath University looking to foster a closer relationship with OURFC.

The turnout of spectators, although admittedly not huge, was rewarded for braving the elements with non-stop fast-paced rugby, with barely 30 seconds going by between each 14 minute match.

Oxford University Women’s RFC had the honour of providing the curtain raiser for the tournament as they took on the Norwegian women’s sevens team. It OUWRFC’s first 7s game and our first international and their inexperience showed somewhat, with Norway taking the lead early on in the game. Oxford’s tiring defence could not stop the continuing barrage of Norwegian tries and it took until the second half for OUWRFC to open their account for the match; Ele Forbes running in to score after a break from Georgia Rought Whitta and a neat bit of support play down the wing. But Norway simply proved too good in the end, with the score ending at 33-7 to the international side.

OURFC, on the other hand, enjoyed a successful tournament, dominating against the newly formed Oxford Rugby League Club, the highlight being an impressive try from fly-half Charlie Marr from almost half-way. Further tries came from Sean Morris and Alastair Adams-Cairns meaning that OURFC culminated in a comprehensive 45-7 win.

In their second group game, the Blues fought valiantly against Worcester and scored an early try, but the Warriors then put in a clinical display, prevailing 29 points to 14.OxUni 7s

The Blues’ big win over ORL was enough to put them through to the semis as second seeds, where they faced the pre-tournament favourites Leeds Academy. Unfazed by their opposition, OURFC took control from minute one and looked surprisingly comfortable and composed in their victory to take them to the final with 24-14 win. Ali Adams Cairns providing the finishing touches with a great game out wide, and a second wind from Will Rowlands resulting in significant go forward up the middle.

The final against 7s specialists the Marauders proved a bridge too far, however, as OURFC’s small squad took its toll and they struggled to keep up with a fresh-looking Marauders side. OURFC stayed in touch right until the closing stages, but a late try from the visitors took the game out of sight to as the Marauders claimed the inaugural Oxford University 7s title and lift the ‘Oxford Shard’, final score 24 – 10.

PHOTOS/Tatiana Cutts