BBC honours Queen’s College junior fellow

College News National News News University News

An Oxford English tutor, Dr Eleanor Rosamund Barraclough, has been announced as one of BBC Radio 3’s New Generation Thinkers for 2013.

Dr Barraclough, who is a junior research fellow at Queen’s who specialises in Old Norse and Old English literature and culture, was one of ten early-career researchers from across the country who were chosen after a six month selection process by a judging panel made up of producers and academics.

As a New Generation Thinker, Dr Barraclough will now be able to work with presenters and producers from Radio 3 and BBC Television Arts to develop her ideas into broadcast radio programmes, as well as short films to be shown online.

Dr Barraclough expressed her delight, commenting: ‘Being a 2013 New Generation Thinker is a wonderful opportunity to share my work on the Old Norse sagas with the wider world.”

She is particularly concerned with showing how the sagas reflect medieval Icelanders’ view of foreign countries, saying: “I’m interested in how this unique, fascinating body of medieval literature depicts the world beyond Iceland, taking each cardinal direction in turn.

“At the moment, I’m looking particularly at saga episodes set in the far north of Scandinavia,” a region that she describes as being presented as “an uncanny realm occupied by magic-making Sámi, undead pagan kings and trolls.”

The annual scheme was launched in 2011 in conjunction with the Arts & Humanities Research Council, and Dr Barraclough is the second person from Oxford to win it after

Last year, Dr. Jonathan Healey, a History fellow at St. Catz, won the award for his work in English local and social history, including witchcraft, famine, and 19th century land reforms.

Dr Barraclough, who is also a Leverhulme Early Career Fellow in the English Faculty, is currently learning Danish, and is writing a book about her research into the sagas, which will be published by the University Press.