Student jog from Oxford to Rome

colloseum This June a daring team of Oxonians will be running from London to Rome in a feat that has been humorously titled “the Italian Jog”.

Leaving from the Olympic Stadium in London and arriving at the Colosseum in Rome, the team, consisting of 5 current students, 2 alumni and 1 member of staff,  will run the 1200 mile journey in a continuous relay, which amounts to around 46 back-to-back marathons.

This will all be performed with the qualification that, in order to have ‘run’ it, they must average 6mph or more throughout. In order to achieve this aim, the team will run in a relay format, doing 1.5 hours of running every 10 hours.

One of the most impressive factors in this run will be the ascension of the Swiss Alps near Chamonix.

The mission statement on the Italian Jog website demonstrates how seriously this run is going to be taken, saying: “we’re busy people with tight budgets and even tighter schedules, so we’re running there and once we’ve started there’ll be no stopping.

“No having a break cos it’s gone and got all dark, no slowing to a walk cos it’s tiring running up an Alp, and no asking for directions because it’s a sneaky way to take a breather.”

The team has great experience with these feats of endurance, highlights of which are: climbing Mont Blanc, cycling the width of America, and numerous full and half marathons including 5 London Marathons.

The leader of the team, Neil Riley, explained his motivation for the run, stating: “we will be raising money for Access Sport, a UK charity that aims to use the power of sport to bring about social change including tackling poverty, gang culture and obesity”

Members of the team have also been helping out with Access Sport activities such as BMX in the tower hamlets and have “seen for themselves the benefits” that the donations to this cause will bring.

Miles Dilworth, founder of the Keble Warcraft Society, expressed his amazement at the task ahead of the team: “These guys are really tough, I can’t imagine how difficult running up a mountain is, let alone after I had already been running for four or five days!

“My sport is cricket and I never go for singles, so these feats of endurance are well beyond me.”

The Access sport mission statement is “to give more children, particularly in disadvantaged areas, access to a wide range of quality local sport. They look to harness the proven power of sport to tackle social exclusion, inactivity and obesity in areas where help is most needed.”

The team leaves on the 29th June.