Post exam cinema binge: what to watch

Screen

monsters-inc-sulley-and-mike-wallpaper-1920

If you emerge just barely intact from the post-apocalyptic haze of this academic year, the cinema may be a good place to recover.

Yes, Man of Steel lands on the 14th of June, and while obviously a must for all Nolan fans, it’s old news, so instead I’ll start with some slightly mindless comedy which shouldn’t be too taxing for fatigued brains…

It’s already been two years since Paul Feig’s Bridesmaids became a smash hit, reanimating the wedding comedy sub-genre and making Melissa McCarthy’s face known to people other than fans of Gilmore Girls. This summer the two reunite for The Heat, released 31st July. Feig’s latest seems essentially to be a cop-buddy comedy with two female leads; McCarthy, and Sandra Bullock in a role potentially similar to her Miss Congeniality character FBI agent Gracie Hart. McCarthy’s character also bears some resemblance to Bridesmaids’ Megan, but repetition aside, this should be a comic stonker filled with outrageous set pieces and crass humour.

July also heralds the arrival of a long-awaited British comedy, Edgar Wright’s The World’s End, the final outing for Simon Pegg and Nick Frost’s cornetto trilogy. Somewhat surprisingly, the trailer is pretty dull, but with the bar set high by Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz it’s still one to look out for. The World’s End once again finds Pegg and Frost in the midst of an other-worldly conspiracy, but this time they are joined by a slate of fine British acting talent including Paddy Considine, Martin Freeman and Rosamund Pike, who will depict a group of childhood friends reuniting and attempting to complete an epic yet unfinished pub crawl from years before.

Maybe you’d rather stick to the pub, but if you can hack the sight of (fake) academia, About a Boy director Paul Weitz will deliver Admission on the 14th June. Think Liberal Arts, but probably with less nostalgia and more cursing. Tina Fey stars as an admissions tutor at Princeton University, with Paul Rudd as her love interest. Hopefully the film can handle its theme (Fey’s character encounters a college applicant who may or may not be a son she gave up for adoption years before), as well as surrogacy was handled in Fey-penned Baby Mama; with just the right balance of humour and sensitivity.

More academia…sorry. Pixar’s latest work, the prequel to 2001’s much-loved Monsters, Inc., arrives in cinemas on the 12th July. In Monsters University we’ll be treated to the genesis of Mike and Sully’s relationship as they learn to scare.

From prequels to sequels, this summer also brings Despicable Me 2 on the 28th June.

Japanese animation house Studio Ghibli have also been scribbling away; From Up on Poppy Hill, set in 1960s Tokyo and perhaps less fantastical than popular Ghibli fare such as Spirited Away and Howl’s Moving Castle, is released on the 2nd August.

For any drama fans, Sophia Coppola’s The Bling Ring, inspired by a true-crime story of theft and stalking among a group of celebrity-adoring LA teens, has been well received at Cannes (3 stars from Peter Bradshaw?!) and will receive its UK premiere later this month at the Edinburgh film festival.  Emma Watson’s performance as A-list wannabe Nicki is sure to stand out (although her behaviour would probably draw shudders from Rowling’s Hermione).

Another festival favourite, Nicholas Winding Refn’s latest Ryan Gosling-starring gangster flick Only God Forgives (2nd August) looks intriguing if only for the elusiveness of its trailer, which doesn’t give away much more than visual style. The bilingual Kristin Scott Thomas follows her In the House French-language performance with an almost unrecognisable turn as Gosling’s mother – her appearance was apparently inspired by Barbie dolls.

Joss ‘The Avengers’ Whedon brings us a very different project next Friday, in the form of a modern-day adaptation of Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing. Whedon reportedly shot the film in his garden with a group of actor friends, when supposedly taking a break between the shooting and post-production of The Avengers. It looks almost as if Shakespeare’s play have been condensed into the events of one house party.

Whedon is not the only director to bring the Bard to the big screen this summer; Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes has adapted Romeo and Juliet, with True Grit’s Hailee Steinfeld as Juliet and relative newcomer Douglas Booth as Romeo. Early signs suggest a rather straight period-dress approach, with only Ed Westwick’s casting as Tybalt seeming particularly engaging.