Look of the week: gothic glamour for geeks

gothic glamour
See below for current stockists and prices.

Allusions to the gothic are smuggled on to the catwalk virtually every year. Whether the leading fashion houses are showcasing their SS or their AW collections, you can bet that someone, somehow, somewhere has deconstructed and reconstructed the archetypal little black lace dress, the coveted ‘It Girl’ leather jacket and the dress carefully tailored out of sumptuous lengths of crushed velvet. We saw Dolce and Gabbana and Versace’s SS13 collections championing the hard-hitting impact and staying power of classic lace, and following the Met Gala’s PUNK: Chaos to Couture themed ball it is hardly surprising that all things punk have made a notable return to the catwalk for AW13. Putting aside any concern for the designers and their perpetual preoccupation with the elements of the gothic, this is nothing if not good news for us. We can invest in the staple wardrobe items of a gothic glamour girl, knowing that they will be engaged by fashion’s cycle time and time again.

For a classic twist on the paradigm gothic glamour look, our Look of the Week takes its inspiration from the ‘geek’ – think Oxbridge meets Vivienne Westwood. This quirky take on a previously over-rehearsed look embraces round-rimmed fluorescent sunglasses (unashamedly, we are still clinging desperately to the pops of colour we were so delighted to see injected in to the SS13 collections), practical, sturdy backpacks jam-packed with multiple compartments and tight-fitting, preppy, cable knit jumpers. Juxtapose these items with layers of statement necklaces embellished with chains and crosses, chunky studded healed boots, a faux leather full body skater skirt and hot black suspenders – just because you can.

Steal our style: Lauren by Ralph Lauren Cable Knit Sweater £66.50 (John Lewis); Warehouse Faux Leather Full Skirt £38 (House of Fraser); Jeffrey Campbell Ankle Boots £135 (Office); Wonderland Round Vintage Sunnies in Orange £19 (Rock ‘N Rose); Juicy Couture Nylon Backpack £92 (Juicy Couture); River Island Gold Cross Necklace £7 (River Island); Curb Chain Choker Necklace £21 (7 Twenty Four); Ultimo Temptress Suspenders £31 (House of Fraser).