20 Things You Didn’t Know About Your Favourite Wimbledon Stars

Assuming you don’t share the opinions of our own Agony Lad, this year’s Wimbledon has been both exciting and surprising, with seven number one-ranked players dropping out in a single day dubbed by the BBC as ‘What-the-Heck Wednesday,’ and big names including Nadal, Federer and Sharapova all failing to make it further than the second round. So, sticking with the theme of surprises, here’s a round-up of the things you may not have known about your favourite Wimbledon stars…

Andy MurrayAndy Murray

1. Agony Lad described him as the most boring Scotsman he’s ever seen, and he may have a point. According to his girlfriend Kim Sears, Murray is something of a lightweight and has only been drunk once in his life, whilst celebrating his victory at the US Open last year. With champagne flowing freely on the plane journey home Murray became so inebriated that he apparently mistook hand cream for toothpaste when brushing his teeth. Lovely.
  2. Given Andy’s reputation for having no sense of humour and generally seeming pretty miserable, you might be surprised to hear that he is good friends with actor James Cordon. The pair met during the making of a Sport Relief sketch and have been firm friends ever since.
  3. Andy went to Dunblane Primary School and was 8 years old at the time of the notorious Dunblane massacre, when Thomas Hamilton shot dead 16 children and one adult. Murray’s was the next class scheduled to enter the gym, as his mother recently explained in an emotional interview for the BBC’s documentary ‘The Man Behind the Racquet.’
  4. Aged 13 Andy was offered the chance to play for Glasgow Rangers but declined. His grandfather had previously played for Hibs.
  5. Whilst training, the world Number 2 eats six meals a day and consumes 6000 calories. His favourite drink is a Starbucks chocolate cream Frappucino, but he sticks to a diet of fish, pasta and red meat to stay match fit.

Laura RobsonLaura Robson

1. 1. Robson is the nation’s sweetheart of tennis and this year surprised everyone by beating New Zealand No.1 Marina Erakovic and progressing to the quarter-finals. However, Robson was actually born in Melbourne and only moved to Britain with her family at the age of six.
  2. 2. Robson’s older brother Nick studies chemistry at Durham and is working as a court attendant at Wimbledon during his holidays. He apparently gets time off from his court-covering duties to watch her play.
  3. Like the British and Irish Lions, Robson spends -120C recovery sessions in a cryotherapy chamber to stay in peak physical condition.
  4. An avid Twitter-er, Robson recently accrued 20,000 extra followers when One Direction frontman Harry Stiles tweeted to wish her good luck at this year’s tournament.
  5. She loves baking and says that after retirement she would like to open a bread and cake shop.

Serena WilliamsSerena Williams (USA)

1. To date, Williams has earned a record-breaking $46,419,659 in career prize money, making her the only female player to have won over $40 million in prize money.
  2. She and her sister Venus were both home-schooled and coached by their father Richard Williams.
  3. Serena is very superstitious and has a number of pre-match rituals. She always bounces the ball 5 times before her first serve and twice before the second.
  4. She apparently has a penchant for the official Wimbledon towels and has been seen to stuff them into her bag when arriving on court and then asking for more. Observers have claimed that she sometimes walks away with over 8 towels, presumably as souvenirs of the match.

Maria SharapovaMaria Sharapova

1. 1. The poster girl for brands including Tag Heur, Samsung and Evian, Sharapova brings sex appeal to tennis and a whole new meaning to ‘match fit.’ Sharapova made £14m in sponsorship and appearance fees last year, compared to £3m in prize money. In 2010 she signed a record-breaking $70 million contract with Nike.
  2. According to Forbes magazine, she has been the highest-paid female athlete in the world for eight years in a row.
  3. Not only is she rolling in sponsorship money, she’s also something of an entrepreneur. Recently Sharapova has launched her own brand of luxury sweets called ‘Sugarpova’ (no, really) which she plans to unveil in Britain to coincide with Wimbledon. The line of soft and hard candies includes miniature tennis ball-shaped gumballs.

Novak Djokovic

1. Novak Djokovic After discovering that he was intolerant to gluten, Djokovic’s nutritionist switched him to a gluten-free diet. The world number 1 has said that being unable to eat foods like bread and pizza has made his movements sharper and heightened his game.
  2. In April 2012 Novak was named one of TIME Magazine’s Top 100 most influential people in the world.
  3. Much like Federer, who speaks four languages, Djokovic is a keen linguist and speaks five; Serbian, English, German, Italian and French.