Fashion’s new ‘It’ girl

Style

Cara DelevingneAll cameras and eyes are on fashion’s favourite new model: Cara Delevingne. That nonchalant, effortless style that so many girls spend hours trying to perfect comes naturally to Cara. Be it a YSL beauty campaign or a post on Instagram with her sister, beauty is always easy for this Vogue cover girl. Every fashion, gossip and beauty column is mesmerised by Ms Delevingne, and it has got me wondering: what’s so special about Cara?

‘Cara’ is not the first name that has been heard attached to ‘Delevingne’ in the fashion world – she is following in the footsteps of her big sister, Poppy. 6 years older than Cara, Poppy has modelled for Anya Hindmarch and has been an ambassador for Chanel. Her eyes now set on Hollywood, Poppy has recently featured in a lingerie advert for Agent Provocateur. The story line failed to go much beyond ‘pretty girl in nice lingerie gets locked out of her house’, but perhaps there is a place on the big screen for the middle Delevingne sister. Chloe, the oldest of the three, is a nightclub entrepreneur, completing our trio of Delevingne socialites.

In the modelling world, 2012 was definitely Cara’s year. Her unapproachable beauty has had heads turning for years. Cara walked in a multitude of catwalk shows for a variety of designers throughout 2012. When she was not walking in them, she was sitting alongside her sister in the front row – every girl’s dream. Burberry and Chanel want her face to represent their brands, as do Zara and Pepe Jeans. On top of this string of successes, she also starred as Vogue’s March 2013 cover girl. It seems that no one can get enough of the new girl on the scene,

But there’s something more to Cara, and it makes us fall in love with her. At the age of 20, she is the face of some of the biggest names in fashion and her career is growing exponentially. But it is the other side to Cara that has really got us hooked. It feels like everything she does is just… fun. Cara is a part time model, part time party girl, hanging out with the likes of Georgia Jagger and Rita Ora. If that wasn’t enough, Cara’s coolness has gone regal as she used to date Prince Harry. Not only do we love Cara for being absolutely beautiful and stylish in everything she does, but we want to be her best friend, if only to hang out with her best friends.

We might see her modelling delicate and extravagant couture in the majority of photos, but what makes Cara who she is today is her personal style. She constantly refers to herself as a tomboy, and her favourite wardrobe items are trainers and jackets. Her style is natural and effortless – she has said in a video interview with Vogue that although she thinks a lot about what she wears, she never spends too long deliberating over which outfit to wear in the morning. Cara is the fashion icon for girls who want to be comfortable in what they wear. Although she has said that she has serious aspirations in a career of acting, designing is not off the table for Cara. Fashion follows Cara wherever she goes.

Bushy eyebrows, dirty-blonde hair and grungey but stylish outfits are just a few of the things that spring to mind when we hear the name Cara Delevingne. That is not even to mention Victoria’s Secret… With the number of pretty, skinny and young models that we see on the glossy pages of Vogue today, it is easy to assume that they are all the same. They are not. Not only do we want to be Cara, we want to be with her – going to parties, hanging out with her sisters, looking through her wardrobe. The essence of her look can be described as anything from a beautiful English rose to tomboy-chic. Whatever it is, we want what Cara  Delevingne has.