OxStu Emmy Round-up

Well. Wasn’t that all just a bit batshit? The 2013 Primetime Emmy Awards were properly all over the place, with surprise wins aplenty, one too many Breaking Bad-themed dance numbers, and actual Elton John. Happily, I stayed up watching it until approximately 4:13AM so you didn’t have to – here’s all you need to know about what went down on Sunday.

THE GOOD

Veep killed it

Winning two of the three acting awards for which it was nominated (you go, Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Tony Hale – or, as I’ll always affectionately know you, Elaine Benes and Buster Bluth), Veep is slowly establishing itself as an Emmy mainstay. Plus the cast pulled a great bit as JL-D accepted her very deserved Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Series award for the second year running – for me, Hale reminding Louis-Dreyfus to thank her family in her speech whilst clutching her purse, á la his character on the show, was the highlight of the night.

Merritt Wever’s acceptance speech

The Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series said only “Thanks so much. Thank you so much. I gotta go. Bye.”. It bordered on the philosophical.

MAGGIE SMITH DIDN’T WIN HAHA

Neither did Christina Hendricks though. Sigh. However, the Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series Emmy did go to Anna Gunn, who, in her gut-wrenching (though sometimes divisive) turn as Breaking Bad’s Skyler White, was probably the most deserving actress of this year’s bunch.

Jon Hamm’s beard

John Hamm, Jennifer WestfeldtNailed it.

THE BAD

The Outstanding Actor in a Drama Series category

Filled to the brim with seriously big hitters – we’re talking Cranston for Breaking Bad, Hamm for Mad Men, Lewis for Homeland and f**king SPACEY for House of Cards – this was by far the most hotly contested category of the night (and the most exciting! That is, if you’re the kind of person who cares which 40-something man you don’t know is going to get to own the massive and stupid gold statue. Which, as we’ve established, I really, really am). And who did the Emmy voters pick? They picked Jeff Daniels. For The bloody Newsroom. He did do quite a good speech though.

Modern Family still cleanin’ up, yo

Though its grip on the acting categories has loosened, that bastion of mediocrity Modern Family is still apparently THE comedy to beat, scooping the Outstanding Comedy Series Emmy, as well as, inexplicably, a Directing award. In a category where Louie was nominated. Good one.

THE F**KING MENTAL

There was loads of dancing

Forward to 1:53. Yeah, I don’t know either.

There was loads of death

This year, Emmy chose to honour a number of prominent figures who died in the past year with tributes dotted throughout the telecast. On paper it’s certainly a nice idea, but in practice not so much – one minute I found myself moved almost to tears by Edie Falco’s touching remembrance of her longtime Sopranos co-star James Gandolfini, and the next I was presented with the professionally well-meaning Neil Patrick Harris making cracks about Popular Culture In 2013 (there was a twerk joke). Tonally, it worked very poorly.

WILL FERRELL

Mental in the best way of all, Will Ferrell rocked up to present the night’s two most prestigious awards (Outstanding Drama/Comedy Series) in board shorts, with his three kids in tow. He saved what could have been a sinking ship at just the right moment.

“No, you cannot play Angry Birds right now”

So now both my OxStu Emmy coverage and the good part of my year are over. Catch me retreating to my cave again until January, when movie awards season will start, and I’ll have more beautiful and famous people through whom to live vicariously, and more pretend things on screens to care disproportionately about. Bet you can’t wait.

PHOTOS// etonline, AP, invision