What’s On Stage? 1st Week

Welcome to What’s On Stage?, our new weekly update showcasing the editors’ picks for what to see in Oxford each week. This week: 1st week!

Term has begun in earnest. To our newcomers, welcome! To our old hands, welcome back! There is a time for speech-making, but this is a written article. Tuck in.

Let’s start chronologically, because unusually for a Monday there are two things worth seeing tonight. At 8pm is the Oxford Imps’ first show of term at the Wheatsheaf pub, to be repeated every Monday. There will be jokes and beers. If you fancy getting out of Oxford (freshers’ week was long), go and see Titus Andronicus at the RSC: they have a great student offer on.

If you don’t want to leave Oxford but do want to see some decent straight theatre, pick of the week is Tom Stoppard’s Arcadia, opening Wednesday, 7.30pm, Oxford Playhouse (tickets here). Its top selling point appears to be that it features a tortoise on stage, but don’t let that put you off. It’s a cracker of a play with a cracker of a cast. Apart from the Playhouse there’s not too much student drama on this week – the actors are still limbering up their sleepy summer limbs – but if you can be bothered to go down the Cowley road (10 mins by bike, don’t be lazy), A Strange Wild Song opens this Friday at the Pegasus theatre and we reckon we’ll rate it (tickets here).

If you’re new to all this theatre stuff, the OUDS ‘Theatre for Dummies’ series continues this week with four free workshops at the Burton Taylor studio. Along with the two on the termcard, there’s a lighting workshop, Thursday, 2pm, and a stage and production management one, Friday, 4pm. That’s not all for newbies: on Wednesday at 8pm OUDS and the Oxford Revue are hosting drinks at the Turl Street Kitchen (with money behind the bar!) so go on over there if you’re interested in the drama or comedy world, or just want to pull someone who’s interested in the drama or comedy world (they often dress well). There’ll be some entertainment at 9pm by various student shows trying to make you buy tickets.

We’ve also heard tell that if you’re around Cornmarket and the Westgate from 12-1pm on Saturday, there’ll be some excitement for you. It involves singing. Hang about.

Want to be featured on What’s On Stage? Send details of your performance and 30 words telling us why you deserve a mention to drama@oxfordstudent.com.