OUWRFC prepare for season ahead

Sport University Sport

The Oxford University Women’s Rugby Club is gearing up for a big year ahead, following on from their two Varsity victories in last season’s matches against Cambridge.

For the first time in 10 years, both the Blues and seconds team defeated their Tab nemeses. It would be a challenge in itself to defend both titles in the same year. However, the departure of a number of key players over the summer has meant that OUWRFC will have to work even harder to make sure the mint-coloured Cantabrigians keep their hands off the silverware.

The girls are looking forward to this challenge. When asked about the upcoming season, fly half Esther ‘Not Ryan’ Gosling said that she was “looking forward to a big year of kicking drop goals and breaking defensive holes.”

A successful pre-season was run over the vac, including skills sessions and a game of mixed touch with OURFC. Regular training commences this week, however Club Captain Tatiana Cutts said that anyone still interested in playing with OUWRFC were more than welcome to join regardless of how much experience they had.

With a new coach in place, the team is planning to bring an exciting brand of 7s style rugby to the 2013/14 season. This follows on from a summer that featured a string of successful OUWRFC 7s performances, including an entertaining match against the Norway national team. A key challenge for the next few months is translating this freewheeling style of play into the 15-woman game.

The girls are now preparing for their first match against UWIC in Wales in 1st Week. Although commentators are suggesting it will be a challenging game for OUWRFC given the Welsh team’s traditionally sizeable forward pack, the girls are looking forward to the task.

When asked for comment about the upcoming fixture, centre Libby Knowles simply responded to the reporter with “do you even lift bro?”

If you’re interested in joining OUWRFC – regardless of whether your first words were “dummy switch” or you’ve never picked up a rugby ball in your life – email Club Captain Tatiana Cutts at tatiana.cutts@keble.ox.ac.uk.