What’s On Stage? 3rd Week

Welcome to What’s On Stage?, our weekly update showcasing the editors’ picks for what to see in Oxford each week. This week: 3rd week.

Let’s great straight to it, because there are actually a bunch of cool things to see this week. Biggest and loudest will be The Producers (opens Wednesday, Playhouse, £10), musical extravaganza extraordinaire about embezzlement and Nazis, which is calling itself Oxford’s biggest ever student production. The trailer is quite aesthetically pleasing, too.

Pick of the week this week is Rough Hewn’s offering Foxfinder (opens Tuesday, 7.30, Keble O’Reilly, £9), set in an appropriately artsy dystopian Britain. Our previewer reckoned it wasn’t one to miss. If you wanna be miserable go and see The Death of Maria (opens Tuesday, 7.30, Burton Taylor). It won’t be fun: “if you’re wallowing in despair and need a cheer-up, this play may well have you on Google Maps searching for the nearest tall bridge before the end”. Maybe a good one for Halloween. Also good for Halloween will be The Ghosts of Barucone Manor (opens Tuesday, 7.30, Burton Taylor), assuming you like your Halloween with plastic pumpkins and boiled sweets: this is not really a creepy one.

The only other big highlight this week is Handel Furioso, coming to the Sheldonian for one night only during its UK tour on Thursday (8pm, £5). It features some fantastic musicians, and is partly funded by the Arts Council. We’re pretty excited.

As ever, if you go and see something and you’ve got an opinion (who doesn’t, in this city?), tweet us @OxStuStage. Especially if you disagreed with our rating. At least that way we’ll know which reviewers to sack.

Want to be featured on What’s On Stage? Send details of your performance and 30 words telling us why you deserve a mention to drama@oxfordstudent.com.