Union talk sparks Real Madrid and Ronaldo fury

Sepp Blatter’s imitation of Cristiano Ronaldo at last week’s Union talk has provoked an angry response from the world’s biggest football club and the player himself. Blatter, the president of FIFA, world football’s governing body, marched theatrically across the stage to mimic “commander of the field” Ronaldo.

Asked to compare Ronaldo to rival Lionel Messi, Blatter joked that “one has more expenses for the hairdresser than the other.” In response, Real Madrid’s president has sent a letter to FIFA asking Blatter to “rectify his comments.” Carlo Ancelotti, Real’s head coach, confirmed at a press conference this afternoon that Florentino Perez had written to FIFA.

Ronaldo commented this evening on his official Facebook page that “This video shows clearly the respect and consideration that FIFA has for me, for my club and my country. Much is explained now.”

The 28-year-old Portugal captain has been passed over for FIFA’s World Player of the Year award four times in a row in favour of Barcelona and Argentina star Lionel Messi.

Blatter’s impersonation earned applause in the Union chamber but has also attracted criticism in Portugal. In the same talk, Blatter claimed that his job was harder than David Cameron’s and that he “was not responsible” for dangerous working conditions in Qatari World Cup building sites.