Union olive branch for incensed Ronaldo

Union president Parit Wacharasindhu has stepped into the media storm whipped up by Sepp Blatter’s visit last week.

With Cristiano Ronaldo and his club Real Madrid incensed at Blatter’s assessment of the Portugal captain, Wacharasindhu has released a statement offering Ronaldo the opportunity  to reply.

Wacharasindu told the Oxford Student last night that “the Oxford Union is very happy that Cristiano Ronaldo is regularly keeping up to date with our events. If he ever wishes to address Oxford students and perhaps respond to Mr Blatter’s comments, all he needs to do is to email me.”

Asked to compare Ronaldo to rival Lionel Messi, Blatter had joked that “one has more expenses for the hairdresser than the other.” In response, Real Madrid’s president has sent a letter to FIFA asking Blatter to “rectify his comments.” Carlo Ancelotti, Real’s head coach, confirmed at a press conference this afternoon that Florentino Pérez had written to FIFA.

Ronaldo commented on his official Facebook page that “This video [of Blatter at the Union] shows clearly the respect and consideration that FIFA has for me, for my club and my country. Much is explained now.”

The 28-year-old Portugal captain has been passed over for FIFA’s World Player of the Year award four times in a row in favour of Barcelona and Argentina star Lionel Messi.

Blatter took to Twitter to apologise to Ronaldo, posting: “I apologise if you were upset by my light-hearted answer at private event on Friday. I never meant to offend you.”