Tutors scoop New Year honours

Seven current members of the University staff feature in the 2014 New Year Honours list – a rise from four last year.

Four were given the highest honour, a knighthood or damehood, while a further three were given a CBE, OBE or MBE. Molecular biologist Professor Peter Ratcliffe is set to become a knight, as is former Daily Telegraph columnist Dr Noel Malcolm of All Souls.

Professor Marian Stamp Dawkins, expert in animal behaviour and ex-wife of atheist author Richard Dawkins, will receive a CBE for services to animal welfare. She is a prominent advocate of animal rights, and last year told the Huffington Post that “the welfare of non-human animals needs all the arguments it can get”.

Karen Hewitt, who helps to organise teaching placements for Oxford students on years abroad in Russia, receives an MBE.

Several Oxfordshire residents who are not affiliated to the University are also set to visit Buckingham Palace to receive honours.

Psychotherapist and Oxfam worker Martin Knops, from Shipton-on-Cherwell, will get an OBE, while Graham and Pauline Evans – who helped to found the Carterton, Witney and District branch of Save the Children – receive British Empire Medals.

Nationally, more women received honours than men for the first time.

Full list of Oxford staff receiving honours:

Knighthoods and damehoods

• Dr Noel Malcolm, History, All Souls: for services to scholarship, journalism and European history
  • Prof Peter Ratcliffe, Magdalen/Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine: for service to clinical medicine
  • Prof Frances Kirwan, Maths, Balliol: for services to mathematics
  • Prof Paull Collier, Economics and Public Policy, St Antony’s/Blavatnik School of Government: for services to promoting research and policy change in Africa

CBE

• Prof Marian Stamp Dawkins, Zoology, Somerville: for services to animal welfare

OBE

• Ms Ceridwen Roberts, Sociology, Department of Social Policy and Intervention: for services to social science

MBE

• Mrs Karen Hewitt, Department for Continuing Education: for services to building academic and cultural understanding between the UK and Russia