Tutors set to strike again

Local News National News News University News

Oxford tutors are set to go on strike for the third time since October.

Three separate walkouts will take place over the next four weeks. The first will be on 23rd January from 11am to 1pm, followed by another on 28th January from 2pm to 4pm.

The final one will take place on 10th February, from 9am to 11am. The Oxford branch of the UCU will hold its termly meeting an hour before the strike on the 28th.

Sally Hunt, general secretary of the University and College Union, claimed the move was “a last resort”.

“After five years of pay suppression and members 13% worse off in real terms, we have little option but to escalate our action,” she said.

A statement by the UCU claimed that universities have refused demands to offer a 1% pay rise. Around a thousand lecturers went on strike in October, leading to support for staff from Oxford students.

Nathan Akehurst, an Oxford student involved in the Support our Staff campaign, said the government continued “to refuse to negotiate in good faith.”

“[They are] pushing through wage cuts in spite of a surplus in higher education, soaring Vice-Chancellors’ salaries and a previous five-year sustained cuts.”

“Students should continue to actively support staff and defend education, and the UCU should in fact be pushing for more than tokenistic two-hour strikes,” he added.