UKIP Councillor forecasts ‘gay’ storm

Local News National News News

An Oxfordshire Councillor has claimed that the recent flooding and bad weather is a direct result of Parliament’s decision to legalise gay marriage last year.

UKIP councillor David Silvester, 73, revealed in a letter to a local newspaper that he had written to Prime Minister David Cameron last year to “warn him” of the “storms, disease, pestilence and war” which would ensue if the 2012 Marriage (Same-Sex Couples) Act passed.

“No man or men, however powerful, can mess with Almighty God with impunity,” Silvester argued, accusing Cameron of shedding “crocodile tears” over the plight of flooded homeowners. The councillor has since been on record saying that he believes homosexuality is a “spiritual disease,” and that gay people “can be healed” through divine intervention.

A UKIP spokesperson went on record as saying: “It is quite evident that this is not the party’s belief but the councillor’s own,” while noting that: “He is more than entitled to express independent thought despite whether or not other people may deem it standard or correct.”

The spokesperson went on to say that independent thought made the UK ”‘a wonderful, proud, diverse and free country,” although the party has since confirmed that Silvester has been suspended following his refusal to cease accepting to be inteviewed on his beliefs.

This is only the most recent of several high-profile scandals surrounding UKIP, and Silvester’s suspension comes just days after party leader Nigel Farage announce plans to root out “extremist, barmy or nasty” views within the party.

Conservative MP John Howell was critical, asserting that “Mr Silvester’s letter was not the sort of thing that he should have been written in today’s age.” A similar stance was taken by the University’s LGBTQ society, with publicity rep Amelia Tudor Beamish stating: “It’s alarming that someone who holds such extreme views can still win elections in the 21st century.”

Others have adopted a more flippant attitude. “It’s hardly surprising that we’ve seen unusual weather patterns in Britain,” said Richard Lane on behalf of gay rights organisation Stonewall, “considering the enormous amount of hot air being produced by some UKIP members.”

Silvester’s remarks have gone down a storm with certain members of Oxford’s LGBTQ community. “While I’m used to making it rain in strip clubs and on the ‘Bebe Amour’ pole, I do think it’s about time my abilities were recognised by wider society,” commented Otamere Guobadia, a second-year Law student at University College. “How many people can call themselves weather-bending benders?”

The weather theme has been expanded on at length on Twitter, with the profile @UKIPweather informing people that “a lingering look between two men at a gym in York has sparked concerns from residents living near the River Ouse” and that “temperatures will plummet as a result of a man in Cumbria enthusiastically browsing through a home furnishings catalogue.”