New ‘leftist’ Oxford activist group established

University News

A new Oxford-wide activist group was established last Thursday in a meeting of students, councillors and staff members at Wadham College.

The meeting discussed feminism, anti-racism, local cuts to children’s services, environmental activism and the sell-off of the student loan book.

A major focus was on maximising turnout for the demonstration against Oxfordshire County Council’s 38% cut to its Housing Related Support Budget.

The group will be called the “Oxford Activist Network” and will meet regularly to discuss left-wing activism in Oxford.

Olivia Arigho Stiles said, “This heralds a new era in student activism in Oxford.”

She went on to say, “The fact that it was not just Oxford students who made up those who came together but also students from Oxford Brookes and the Ruskin makes me really optimistic for the future of student activism in Oxford.”

Nathan Akehurst stated, “It was fantastic to be part of what looked like the beginnings of a diverse, inclusive and democratic student movement.”

“There is a great deal for students to be angry about. We had a packed room with the mood to fight.”