The Oxford Imps celebrate 10th birthday

University News

Improvisation comedy group The Oxford Imps are celebrating their 10th birthday this week.

The group was founded in 2004 and has since performed at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival and many locations around Oxford. Members also hold a weekly event at The Wheatsheaf pub on the High Street.

“The Imps have been punning, prancing, and getting up to all sorts of improvised mischief for ten years now, and so we decided to mark the occasion with a great big stonking celebration,” said Ed Scrivens, a Benet’s student and a member of the group.

“This is a really exciting time for us, having had a sell-out run at the Fringe in August, the anniversary show coming up, and a whole host of other plans in the works (be sure to look out for ‘The Curious Case of the Improvised Musical’ later on this term)”, he said.

“What makes it even better is that, with audiences that we’ve come to know over the years, and just the communal venture that Improv is, it’s a celebration that we can share.”

The group handed out 138 cupcakes on Broad Street on Tuesday. The number was chosen to reflect the total number of members over the last ten years.

They will also hold a special anniversary show on 13th February.

“For one night only The Imps are taking over Oxford New Theatre with ‘The Oxford Imps’ 10th Anniversary Spectacular’, featuring a bunch of great Imp-grown acts from various corners of the comedy world.

This is set to include “stand up, musical comedy, steam-punk-esque magicians, ‘chaos comedians’ who’ve had residencies at the Tate Modern and the Tate Britain, and more! All with some fun and games with current Imps thrown in.”

Tickets are available from the New Theatre box office, or from a member of the group.