Jailbreak team flying to Tokyo

College News National News News University News

Three Oxford students taking part in this weekend’s RAG Jailbreak are currently flying to Tokyo after they were given free tickets by Virgin boss Richard Branson.

The team boarded the 12.00pm flight from Heathrow to Tokyo’s Narita International Airport. They are set to land tomorrow at 8.55am Japanese time after 12 hours in the air.

Team member Robert Harris, a PPEist at New College, posted on his raise2give page that “Sir Richard Branson has bought us free return flights to Tokyo! The flight takes about 12 hours and departs at 12.00 – flight number VS 900.”

He is travelling with fellow New College students Caitlin Place and Charlie Parkes. Before travelling, the team said their decision to participate was just “an excited half-plan to enter ourselves”, but “the crushing pressures of essay deadlines, problem sheets and reading lists means that we will approach the task with considerably more enthusiasm than escaped convicts”.

The feat is believed to have broken Oxford Jailbreak records, with Oxford RAG posting on Facebook “OVER £28000 RAISED AND A TEAM ON ITS WAY TO TOKYO!!!”

Other Jailbreak participants have had mixed levels of success so far. Merton student Harry Bush hitched a lift to Normandy with a group of French people. Jesus student Bethan Roberts, however, tweeted that there were “No ferries from newhaven! Time to try portsmouth…”

You can follow the progress of the teams on Twitter using the hashtag #OxJailbreak.