A right royal affair at LMH

Princess Anne will visit LMH next Tuesday to attend formal hall and present a prize for refugee projects.

The Princess will present the second annual Ockenden International Prize, and will give $75,000 to an existing organisation that helps refugees and displaced people around the world.

Ockenden’s founder Joyce Pearce attended LMH in the 1930s.

The ceremony will be followed by a special formal hall dinner, which will also be attended by Princess Anne. Sign-ups are available to LMH students beginning from 4 February.

Rebecca Ward, Alumni Relations Officer at LMH, told students: “College will provide alcohol, at no extra cost.”

“We hope to see a full Dining Hall on Tuesday 18th February so encourage all your friends to sign up,” she added.

Stephen Claypole, a trustee of Ockenden International, said it was “appropriate for [Princess Anne] to visit LMH because both Ockenden International and Save The Children Fund have their origins at the College.

“We are very pleased that the Princess has agreed to present the 2014 Ockenden International Prize. It’s enormously important to our work to have her support,” he added.

A record ninety-seven applicants have applied for the prize this year, including the Norwegian Refugee Council Zimbabwe and ActionAid India. They will present their projects to a panel of five judges, led by broadcaster Michael Buerk.

According to the administrator of Ockenden Prize, Corrie Parsonson, the prize organisers had asked Princess Anne “because of HRH The Princess Royal’s interest in related charities,” as she is President of Save the Children Fund.

Ockenden International was founded in 1951 with two other English schoolteachers. Their initial aim was to help displaced East European youths reintegrate into society after the war.

In addition to the annual prize, Ockenden International also funds a Junior Research Fellowship at LMH.