Police investigating Cowley Road sexual assault

A young woman was sexually assaulted on her way home from a Cowley Road club night in the early hours of last Saturday morning. The woman, who is 20 years old, is believed to have been walking back from the No Scrubs club night when a man started to follow her. The man then inappropriately touched the woman before she pushed him away and ran from the scene.

Thames Valley Police are now searching for the assailant, who they describe as a 6ft black or Asian man with short black hair. He was wearing a hooded top, which was white with a red zip and the inside of the hood was also red. Police say the victim was not injured during the incident.

Magdalen Female Welfare Rep, Aimee Kwan, said: “Although Oxford often feels safe, it’s easy to forget the very real threat of sexual violence against women. It’s vital that we work to combat this”. The No Scrubs night was being held in the back room of The Bullingdon Club on Cowley Road. The woman was walking away from the city centre when the incident happened.

Sarah Pine, OUSU VP for Women, said she hoped people who experienced situations like this “are safe and recovering”.

“Those concerned with lowering violence against women should check for the consent of their partners and respect the women around them, particularly the women they are in a relationship with as statistics show that the majority of sexual violence against women occurs in intimate relationships.

“I hope that those who have experienced situations similar to this incident are safe and recovering”.

She gave further advice to anyone else who might experience sexual assault: “The first thing to do is to get to a safe place. Remember there is no one way to feel after experiencing sexual violence. Confusion, guilt and nervousness are just as common as tears, feelings of helplessness, and physical pain. Remember that this is not your fault. Remember that you are not alone, and that lots of people can help you.

“You can call the local Sexual Assault Referral Centre, on 0845 519 7638 which can give you immediate medical and forensic help, as well as legal advice and access to counselling services. They will not force you to do anything that you do not want to do. You don’t have to speak to anyone that you don’t want to, or have any tests that you don’t want to.

“Your decision to call the police is entirely up to you. You can take your time to decide whether you want to pursue a prosecution.”