Project Keble: rush of Russia Ball promo

Keble’s “Romanov Russia” themed ball has been lighting up some of Oxford’s famous buildings this week.

The committee projected images of St Basil’s Cathedral and the letters ‘RR’ onto iconic buildings around the city. These included the Radcliffe Camera (above), the Pitt Rivers, the Ashmolean and The Bridge nightclub.

Ball President Ben Poster said that the team chose images of a “less debauched nature”.

“We selected sites that we believed to be renowned in Oxford and would give us maximum exposure, including the Rad Cam, the Ashmolean and the Pitt Rivers Museum. The projections finished at The Bridge, where we had arranged our second promotional night of the week, and were visible by the hoards of Bridge-goers and passers-by alike,” he said.

The committee “wanted to do something more attention-worthy than common publicity workhorses. The projection idea was inspired by previous Guerilla marketing campaigns, such as the naked projection of Gail Porter on to the Houses of Parliament by FHM Magazine,” he said.

“Given the sensitivity of College and the University to Oxford’s world-famous architecture, we chose images of a somewhat less debauched nature!”

Joel Hide, a Keble History and Politics student, said: “The projection onto the Rad Cam was brilliant, it was great to see Keble taking over Oxford’s most iconic landmark. The publicity has definitely made an impression on the university as whole”.

“It would be great if the Ball made a stand against Russia’s human rights violations against its LGBTQ citizens by boycotting Russian vodka, as many bars and clubs have done in recent months,” he said.

The first batch of tickets were sold in less than five hours after their release. An third year PPE student at the college, who wished to remain anonymous, said: “Keble always throws a great ball, I just hope I can catch.”

Holly Meehan, who is currently on her year abroad, said: “From what I can tell, the whole of Keble is currently gripped by a ball fever that will hopefully grow and grow as May draws nearer. The energy is tangible even from across the Channel. I, of course, will be coming back for the ball”.