OUSU puts its money where its mouth is

Online access scheme #OxTweet is set to receive funding after OUSU Council approved plans to raise its profile.

The scheme, which has recently expanded to cover more subjects, is made up of Oxford students who tweet about their social and academic lives, as well as answering questions from prospective applicants. It comprises multiple accounts, which together have over 4,500 followers.

Rachel Pickering, OUSU VP for Access and Academic Affairs, seconded the motion, which she described as a way of publicising the scheme further. It was proposed by Magdalen JCR Access and Admissions Rep Rosie Dickinson.

“We’re thrilled that OUSU Council approved our motion for funding, and that this project is reaching increasing numbers of prospective applicants. We’d like to thank everyone at OUSU,” Dickinson said.

The publicity will take the form of postcard-sized flyers, which will be distributed via Target Schools, student shadowing events and at open days.

The #OxTweet team is currently running a competition for the postcard’s design. One entrant wrote: “As someone who didn’t know very much about Oxford before applying this year, #OxTweet has been a great way for me to learn about my course and student life in general.”

#OxTweet founder Jamie Miles, also of Magdalen, commented: “Being able to take #OxTweet to schools all over the country in postcard form will hopefully solidify the value of the project. As it stands, it is sort of a digital phenomenon. This campaign aims to change that.”

“No one from my comprehensive school had attended Oxford before. Upon becoming a student, the only solution to this was to initiate filling that information gap myself. So I did,” he said.

“A special thanks goes out to all the OxTweeters for their enthusiasm, OUSU for their support, the Magdalen JCR Access Rep, Rosie Dickinson, for her precision, and the coordinators of #OxTweet 2014, Eden Bailey and Chiara Giovanni, for their undying commitment to the project.”

Jamie Miles’s Youtube Access channel can be found at http://www.youtube.com/JamoeMills.