Christ Church awarded Fairtrade status

Christ Church has been awarded the Fairtrade mark after two years of campaigning.

In a statement, a spokesperson for the college said “we at Christ Church are extremely pleased to be given Fairtrade status. It is the result of a big effort by a number of people.”

Rosemary Brewin, JCR Vice President and last year’s Food Rep, has helped lead the campaign since it started in last year.

“I’ve worked with multiple RAG reps as well as the College authorities to introduce Fairtrade foods into College and to raise awareness of Fairtrade,” she said.

She hopes the move “will encourage other colleges to move towards using Fairtrade products”.

The foundation’s website states that the mark is only given to educational institutions that have “made a commitment to supporting and using Fairtrade. They ensure that Fairtrade products are available in as many places as possible and they raise awareness of Fairtrade.”

Oliver Gleeson, previous JCR RAG and Charities Rep, was part of the initial Steering Committee, which was set up to implement the Fairtrade scheme. “We ran a number of awareness events collaborating with the Welfare Reps to run Fairtrade Teas, as well as pidging info leaflets to all JCR members about the benefits of Fairtrade,” he said.

He hopes that  “one day, if enough colleges hold Fairtrade status, Oxford University will be deemed a Fairtrade University”.

The ‘Fairtrade Universities and Colleges’ scheme started in 2003 when Oxford Brookes became the first university to gain the Fairtrade mark.