LMH Principal leaves “magnificent” work behind her

The Principal of Lady Margaret Hall has announced that she will step down in 2015.

Frances Lannon, who has been in office since 2002, said holding the position “has been a great privilege”.

“I look forward to continuing to work with Fellows, staff, alumni, friends, and students for the last phase of my Principalship,” she said in a press release. “Together we have achieved a good deal, and the work continues.

“I am especially proud that there has been major development on several fronts simultaneously, academic, educational, financial, in management, human resources and physical infrastructure.

“For all of us, the key has been agreeing important strategic priorities and working consistently and in practical ways to implement them.  The engagement of the wider LMH community in our vision and our endeavours has been magnificent,” she added.

Dr Lannon will leave office in September of next year. Jonathan Chapman, LMH’s JCR President, said he wished “her the best for the future.”

“For 12 years, the Principal has guided LMH through great change and development, both in terms of the physical provisions of the College but also in its academic and educational provisions. During my time as President she has approached student welfare and educational provision as a matter of highest concern, making my duties considerably less burdensome.”

“I wish her the best for the future and look forward to the election of the new Principal in 2015,” he added.

Significant changes under Dr Lannon’s Principalship include new buildings, facilities and increased financial support for LMH students. Before taking up office as Principal she was a Fellow and Tutor in Modern History at LMH, and Vice Principal from 1992-1997.

Jon Tomlin, a student at LMH, said: “I think it’s a shame she is stepping down, because she seemed to be a very good Principal. She was always very friendly whenever I met her, and seemed to show an interest in the College’s undergraduates.”

Fellow student Frank Cook agreed. “Pretty much everyone at LMH thinks that it is a shame that Frances Lannon is stepping down.”

“She obviously takes a personal interest into the well-being of everyone and anyone in college. This is clear as Principal Lannon has an abundance of anecdotes about students from many years back. Whilst obviously very busy, she’ll never turn down an opportunity to just talk with students, whether that be for personal reasons, or simply for a chat.

“I don’t know how common this is for a Principal, but we certainly feel privileged to have had her for at least some of our degrees.”