Worcester axes Window XP

Students at Worcester who don’t have the latest computer software will be unable to access the college’s online network.

As of April, PC users running Windows XP will no longer be able to connect to the Worcester college network—only students with Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 will be able to do so.

Any system running before OSX Mavericks (OSX 10.9) will be unable to connect. However, a “free upgrade” from Mac X 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8 will be available.

Worcester is not the only instution to call time on the beloved classic, with Microsoft itself saying that it won’t be providing  support for XP users beyond April this year.

In an email to all students, Dr. Karen Wells, the college Computing Manager, said: “The current online network registration system is being replaced with a Network Access Control system”.

The new network will “actively enforce” the college’s current policy of only allowing access to computers with operating systems that receive security updates.

Charles Walmsley, a Worcester College student, said: “I doubt many, if any, people are running XP, although I don’t know enough about Macs to say people won’t be affected by it.”

Wells urged students not to wait to ask for help: “Please do not leave contacting the IT department for help until the last minute. We want to be able to help everyone who needs our support, and that will be difficult if everyone contacts us when they return from the Easter Vacation,” she added.

The new network system will “go live” shortly after the Easter break.