Floods postpone Guild Ball

The Oxford Guild has been forced to postpone their masquerade ball after the planned site has been affected by floods.

The Business Society had planned to hold their ball at Ardington House, near Wallingford, this Saturday, but were forced to postpone the event after flooding at the riverside site. The Ball will now take place in Trinity term.

The Guild said in a Facebook post on the 1st of March: “The Guild Ball committee deeply regret to inform you that severe flooding in the grounds of Ardington House has unfortunately given us no choice but to postpone the Masquerade Ball until Saturday 3rd of May 2014.”

The site, which is a stately home situated next to Ardington Brook, has been severely affected by this year’s rainfall. The Guild explained: “Recent heavy rainfall has caused the grounds’ river to burst its banks.”

This has left the site a state unfit to host the ball. “Even with no rain until next Saturday, neither the marquees nor the land would be in any condition to entertain; stages cannot be adequately supported, any walkways to avoid mud would sink and there is a danger of marquees collapsing.”

They added: “We are simply not prepared to compromise the enjoyment of our guests by scaling back the night’s festivities.”

All purchased tickets remain valid for the postponed event, but refunds are available for those unable to attend the new date. Guests have already paid £75 each to attend.

Roberto Weeden-Sanz, President of the Ball Committee, commented: “Unfortunately, due to recent heavy rainfall, the grounds of Ardington House have been flooded and have made it impossible to hold the Masquerade Ball this term.

“We are really excited about what will be a great night and without doubt the best value for money ball in Trinity (and we have also confirmed special surprise guests for this new date) so keep your eyes out for more details soon and get your tickets from theoxfordguildball.com.”

The Ball Committee apologised for disruption caused: “We reiterate our sincere apologies for the unfortunate circumstances. It is through no fault of the committee or the venue that the event has to be postponed.”

The Masquerade Ball is the first ball that the Oxford Guild Business Society has ever held since the Society was founded in 1897. The Committee says that guests can expect “drinks all night, luxurious food, elaborate entertainment and transport to and from the venue.” This is alongside “a range of cocktails, shots and other drinks alongside a hog roast, pizzas, sushi and more! Expect inflatables, magicians, bands, DJs, a Casino tent, Shisha den and much, much more.”