High levels of harassment at Univ

University College has revealed that there were five instances of sex-related harassment in the last academic year. Of these allegations, three were made against staff, whilst two were made against students. One staff member left the College’s employment as a result of the complaint.

Whilst the majority of allegations were made by students, one was submitted by a staff member.The report, released on the 14th of October last year by the Pro-Dean for Welfare Dr Andrew Gregory, detailed that not one of the complaints were brought to any of the College’s four harassment advisers. Just three out of the five cases were resolved.

No other colleges who submitted responses to Freedom of Information requests made by the Oxford Student reported bullying and harassment figures as high as Univ.

The Master of the College, Sir Ivor Crewe, stated “The College is committed to its equality duty and takes any complaint of harassment by a member of the college, students and staff alike, very seriously.”

He added that “Univ has put in place specific training on harassment and briefing that has raised awareness in the College of issues about equality at the workplace. We believe that this accounts for Univ’s higher rate of reporting, which is rigorously recorded by the College.”