Oxford has got talent

Keble’s O’Reilly Theatre played host to Oxford’s most talented last week with the final of Oxford’s Got Talent.

The winning act – Illias, David and Tom, a jazz trio from Balliol – came first. Illias said: “I think our initial bemusement at winning the Balliol competition was only compounded when we won the Oxford competition.”

“We had never performed together before but knew each other from various things. The whole process was great fun and who knows, we might even start playing together regularly!” he said.

Ella Bucknall, who organised the show, said it “was a huge success with lots of money raised for our charities and some amazing performances.”

The money raised will go towards RAG’s newly decided charities. The judges were current OUSU President Tom Rutland and his successor Louis Trup, as well as Cherwell editor April Peake.

Audience members also watched a performance from all-female a cappella group the Oxford Belles.

The final show saw a variety of performances, including singers, guitarists, drummers, a mandolinist and a contortionist, who provided especial amusement.

Bucknall said the contortionist, Tyler Jacobson, was “one of my favourite acts”.

“He was bending his body in ways which seemingly defied all laws of nature, and I was viewing the show from backstage so could watch both him and the audience as they squirmed in their seats.”

The first prize is two tickets to Lincoln Ball, a move which proved complicated when three winners went up to receive them. However, Bucknall said: “Despite the winning jazz trio having to wrestle for the two Lincoln ball tickets on the announcement of their triumph, they were reassured that the third ticket would only be a small amount each if they split the cost.”

“Overall, it was a great night.”