Oxford named the best UK university

Newly released university rankings have declared Oxford the best university in the UK and third globally.

The annual QS World University Rankings listed Oxford as first in the world in modern languages, geography and English.

The university placed third overall in the world, behind Harvard and MIT who ranked first in eleven and nine subjects respectively.

Cambridge fell behind, ranking first in only one subject, history.

However, Cambridge outperformed Oxford in mathematics and sciences.

Oxford is ranked sixth in physics, seventh in Computer Science, and ninth in Material Science. The rankings listed institutions from around the world in 30 different subject disciplines, based on the opinions of academics and employers. Together Oxford and Cambridge took out 24 of the 30 number one spots in subjects.

The Oxford University English Faculty reacted with delight to the news of their number one position, tweeting the link to the QS ranking with the comment: “It’s official, [Oxford] is world no.1 for studying English Language and Literature”.

A university spokesperson stated that though there are “always limits to how to precise league tables can be”, the QS figures “confirm Oxford’s leading international status across all subjects, delivering some of the best research and education in the world”.

Many students greeted the news with approval. A history undergraduate spoke of her surprise, commenting, “Considering how many more contact hours the scientists receive, it’s strange that Oxford seems stronger in humanities than in sciences. I imagined it would be the other way round.”

However, third year French student at Keble, Holly Meehan, was less enthusiastic. She stated: “Why would anyone give a flying fuck about these rankings? I’m hardly going to run away to Cambridge because their student satisfaction was 0.2% better.”