Brit Awards 2014

Entertainment Music and Art

Despite guest performances from several big names including Beyonce, Katy Perry and Bruno Mars, this years Brit Awards suffered their lowest audience figures in fifteen years. Hosted for the fourth and final time by comedian James Corden, the ceremony was held last Wednesday at the O2 Arena in London.

Bastille and Disclosure were tipped for big wins with four nominations each, but only Bastille proved successful, receiving the award for best British breakthrough act. It was instead Sheffield-based indie rockers Arctic Monkeys who owned the occasion, performing hit single ‘R U Mine?’ are the start of the ceremony and then taking home both Best British Band and Best British Album for their acclaimed 2013 release, AM.

An appearance from the illusive superstar Prince took Ellie Goulding by surprise as he presented her with the Best British Female award, while Best British Male went to the one and only David Bowie, who last won the award in 1984, before his rivals for this year’s accolade, Jake Bugg and James Blake, were even born!

The seemingly unstoppable rise of former X-Factor runners-up One Direction continued with their receiving the Global Success award for the second year running, as well as the Best Video award for their song, ‘Best Song Ever!’

There were few surprises among the International awards, with New Zealand’s rising star Lorde picking up the International Female Solo Artist award, and French electronic icons Daft Punk receiving the International Group award, in recognition of their hugely successful Random Access Memories, and single ‘Get Lucky’.

Rudimental took home the award for best British Single, for ‘Waiting All Night’, while the Critic’s Choice went to singer-songwriter Sam Smith, whose breakthrough came back in 2012 with his appearance on Disclosure’s single ‘Latch’.