Student’s alleged attacker arrested after Plush incident

Officers from Thames Valley Police have arrested an 18-year-old suspected to be the attacker of Teddy Hall student Jeanne Marie Ryan.

A statement from the force said the man was bailed to return to an Oxford police station next month.

“The man was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault in connection with the incident at the Plush Lounge in Park End Street, at around 2am on Saturday. The man, who is from the Edgware area of London, has been bailed to appear back at St Aldate’s police station on 1 April,” it added.

Ryan was harassed continually in Plush Lounge before she confronted the man. Speaking to Cosmo magazine, she said: “He seemed really angry that he hadn’t knocked me out straightaway … I was bleeding profusely and as he walked off, I was yelling at someone to stop him from getting away but he just walked out of the club”.

Plush, where the crime took place, is a popular Oxford club. “We had chosen to go there because it’s an LGBT club and we just wanted to dance with no hassle. Everyone who goes there thinks of it as a safe space – it’s great for dancing and not being bothered by guys,” she told the magazine.

She also said that she had experienced harassment before in clubs, but never on the scale witnessed on Saturday. Working with hollaback!London, she is hoping that she can start an Oxford version of the Good Night Campaign.

She chose to go against the grain of social network trend #nomakeupselfie, posting a photo of her cut face and broken nose. She is appealing to raise money for the Oxford Sexual Abuse and Rape Crisis Centre, but her initial target of £100 has been vastly exceeded, with current donations standing at £15,000.