Victory for Oxford in the Boat Race – LIVE

National News News University News

The Boat Race 2014: Liveblog

18.35: The Oxford side has collected the trophy. And on that note, it’s time to say goodbye to the liveblog for another year. Thanks for sticking with the OxStu, and congratulations to the team!

18.32: The losing Cambridge side collect their medals:

18.27: Not much magnanimity from the Oxford students with our News Editor Jacob Lee in Hammersmith. However, there’s a bit of a strange feeling among the crowds rather than full-on elation, probably due to the oar incident.

Malcolm Howard, President of OUBC, is interviewed for TV and claims he is “proud” while also expressing some sympathy for the losing Cambridge team. Oxford rower Constantine Louloudis says the river “is running dark blue”. The Cambridge rower involved in the clash says it “is part of the race”, but thinks team members should “keep your held high and move on”. Coming up soon will be the famous tradition of throwing the winning cox into the river, as well as the presentation of the trophy.

18.20: PROTEST NOT UPHELD: Cambridge were out of their water, not Oxford, meaning the oar clash will not affect the race’s result.

18.18: VICTORY FOR OXFORD. However, umpire Richard Phelps has raised his red flag, meaning there is definitely a protest from Cambridge. The cox for the Tab team is speaking to Phelps now.

18.16: Looks like it will be a similar margin of victory for Oxford in the main race as it was in the Isis vs Goldie reserves race an hour or so ago – probably of around 10 lengths at least. Cambridge cox shouts: “Fight to the end”.

18.13: Around three minutes to go as they approach Barnes Bridge. Oxford’s victory is certain now, as they are far ahead. The real drama could come afterwards if there is an appeal by the Cambridge squad for that oar contact, but they now look like they are resigned to a certain fate.

18.11: The look of determination on the faces of members of both squads is a testament to the grit and determination of Oxbridge rowers. Oxford’s lead is still as strong. The BBC, meanwhile, has confirmed there was contact between the two oars a few moments ago. Cambridge could appeal or protest after the race, but it depends if Oxford was in the correct area of water at the time. Decision up to the umpire.

18.07: Jacob is with a large group of Oxford students as they approach halfway point at Chiswick Bridge. The atmosphere is “euphoric” as Oxford have a very clear lead.

18.04: Serious blow to Cambridge after what appears to be a clash of oars. Cambridge has fallen back quite far, giving Oxford a serious lead.

18.02: The lead is still with Oxford despite the fact that Cambridge had the advantage on the first (“Middlesex”) bend around the Fulham area. Oxford have the advantage of the next bend at Hammersmith Bridge.

17.57: They have begun! Around two minutes late due to objections from the coxes. Oxford have the advantage at the outset.

17.50: Storm Uru – on the Oxford squad – is a fantastic name. Apparently named because his father was a sailor in a storm, and he vowed to call his first son “Storm” if he survived. Luckily for Oxford, he did. Five minutes to go.

17.41: ISIS WIN THE RESERVES RACE: In Jacob’s words, Oxford’s reserves have “nailed” Cambridge in the Isis vs Goldie race.

Meanwhile, Max Bray – a fresher History student at Somerville – had more sage sartorial analysis: “It’s refreshing to see a paucity of light blue scarves on show”.

17.31: Natalie, a spectator on the banks, says: “It’s a lovely atmosphere. It’s a good opportunity to catch up with old friends, and there is a great British sense of occasion”.

Meanwhile, one of these dancing sailors – Crispin – says he’s “not really bothered about the boat race, we just like singing and dancing”.

There’s only 20 minutes to go until the race starts!

17.16: The crews are now heading off to do a warm-up. Now that they are out, things are obviously becoming a bit more tense among the spectators. From Jacob:

17.12: The squads are now walking down what is essentially a catwalk from the boathouse to the river. Brasenose student Tom Watson got a particularly strong cheer from the crowd. Cambridge rower Ivo Dawkins looked slightly nervous as he stepped into his boat: it’s no surprise, considering his father’s boat sank when he participated in the race several decades ago.

17.06: Our News Editor Jacob Lee is down by the river:

Meanwhile, the main teams are currently taking their boats down to the river! A quick summary of what time everything else is going down over the next hour – at 17.25 we’ll be watching the Isis vs. Goldie reserves race, followed by the main race exactly half an hour later at 17.55.

16.57: The OxStu’s Music Editor Jake Downs has some wise words for whoever sourced Cambridge’s kit:

https://twitter.com/jakedownsmusic/status/452837215874592768

16.50: The reserves teams are heading out now, with Goldie (Cambridge) going first. Isis (Oxford, obviously) have also made their way onto the river:

16.38: Clare Balding (one of my utter faves) is now kicking off her coverage on BBC1. She has had a very busy weekend, having covered the Grand National at Aintree yesterday. Meanwhile, WEATHER FORECAST: the temperature in Putney is around 16 degrees, while light rain is forecast for 6pm. Wind speeds of 15mph are estimated, which hopefully won’t pose problems.

16.33: It’s estimated there will be almost 250,000 people on the banks of the Thames today, and Putney is certainly looking busy at the moment.

16.22: Our friends over at The Cambridge Student have some insight into why teams choose the stations they do after the coin toss.

16.16: We’re delighted to have Alexander Fox (whom you might recognise as the presenter of Shark Tales, a video feature for some other Oxford newspaper) in charge of the OxStu Sport Twitter feed today as the Varsity football match goes on:

16.09: COIN TOSS: the first team coin toss has gone to Oxford, who have also picked the Surrey station. It might be a small victory, but it bodes well…

16.04: A bit on the geographical area where the race will take place: the squads power down a part of The Tideway, a stretch of the Thames in central London, and will cruise past the suburbs of Chiswick and Hammersmith (where our News Editor Jacob Lee will be picking up a bit later). The Tideway is essentially just the part of the river which experiences tides (self-explanatory, really – that wasn’t an insult to Oxbridge’s collective intelligence). Remember to let us know what you are doing today for the Boat Race. Give us a tweet @TheOxStu or email editor@oxfordstudent.com!

16.00: The second teams of both squads – Isis (Oxford) and Goldie (Cambridge) – race half an hour before the main teams. They’ve just had their coin toss:

15.56: In around ten minutes time there will be a coin toss between the Presidents of each boat club to decide which squad gets which station. They will supposedly use an 1829 sovereign coin in a nod to the year the Boat Race began, and speaking of which, here’s a delightful little website full of stats and cute graphics to keep you entertained: http://white.net/boat-race/

15.43: The Boat Race might be fast-paced and energetic, but today is no day to neglect the spiritual, thoughtful side of life. Thankfully, “Older People’s Day” is there to keep us reminded:

15.34: The Boat Race has a history stretching longer than any of us have been alive: Oxford has won the annual event 77 times, while Cambridge has clinched the title on 81 occasions. This is the 160th race, and any eagle eyes out there will notice that 77 plus 81 in fact leaves one year unaccounted for  – this is because there was a dead heat in 1877. Legend has it that it was only declared this way because the umpire fell asleep under a tree, although he claimed that he was wide awake and that the tips of the boats passed the finish line at exactly the same time.

15.15: Lots of areas around the riverbank in London are closed, much to the chagrin of this tweeter. His kid, however, doesn’t seem all that bothered:

15.08: The race is being sponsored by financial giant BNY Mellon, which has launched a bizarre little website which attempts to find out which side you should be cheering on through a quick quiz. Asking fans to choose between Nigella Lawson and Carol Vorderman is probably not the most perceptive way of doing this, and readers of this blog probably already have a chosen side, but if you’re short on cash there is a £10,000 prize at stake so get on it: http://whichblueareyou.com

15.00: Hello and welcome to the OxStu’s coverage of the 160th annual boat race between Oxford and Cambridge. Behind the blog is Editor-in-Chief Nick Toner (@nick_toner), while intrepid News Editor Jacob Lee will be bringing us the latest happenings on the banks in London. We’ll be here for the next few hours keeping you up-to-date with events and gossip from the race, so stick with us. Tweet us @TheOxStu or email editor@oxfordstudent.com to feature in the blog – we’d love to hear from you! Meanwhile, if you just can’t get enough of live action sport, check out Associate Editor Miles Dilworth’s live coverage of today’s other big match – the Varsity football – here.