More Students Join Race for Council

Local News News

The university’s top Conservatives have announced their support for two students running in the Oxford City Council elections next month.

Maryam Ahmed, a DPhil Engineering student at Wolfson and current OUCA Treasurer-elect, will be running for the Carfax Ward. She said she would focus part of her campaign on housing issues.

“I am delighted to have been selected to fight for Carfax this May. Labour have failed Oxford students, pitching town vs. gown, and implementing housing policies that will drive up rents for students,” she said.

“Labour’s cost of living crisis is making this city unlivable and I will fight for safe, affordable housing whether you’re living in or out,” she added.

Poppy Stokes is a first-year Classicist at Wadham and the current Junior Officer at OUCA. She will be running for the Holywell Ward.

OUCA’s announcement follows endorsements by both the University’s Labour Club and the Oxford University Liberal Democrat.

Labour candidate Aled Jones, a second-year Law student at Corpus Christi and a former OULC co-chair, will face Poppy Stokes in the election for the Holywell Ward. Liberal Democrat Jean Vila, a second-year Biologist at Wadham, will stand for the Liberal Democrats.

Last term, Jones said that the Labour-run-Council had already built over 1000 new homes in Oxford. Vila said he wanted to tighten the rules on accredited letting agencies.

The election will be held on 22nd May, when 24 out of the 48 council seats will be elected. Most Oxford colleges fall into the Holywell Ward.

It is not without precedent for students to run for the Council. Labour, the Liberal Democrats and the Greens all chose undergraduate finalists as their candidates for Holywell in the last City Council elections in 2012.