Oxford and Oman unite to create new uni

Oxford University’s own technology transfer company is to act as the lead consultant in the establishment of Muscat University, an elite entrepreneurial institute in Oman.

Isis Innovation Ltd., which offers consulting experience to public and private sector clients around the world, announced their involvement in the project this week.

It is believed that the company will develop the framework of the university, as well as advising on the implementation of academic and research programmes.

The Muscat University project is funded by a group of prominent Omani businessmen, but its founders claim it will be a strictly not-for-profit institution with an aim to equip students with marketable skills in subjects such as business, engineering, and logistics.

Comments in a press release from Juma bin Ali al Juma, chairman of the university founders’ committee, suggest that the project forms part of a wider government drive to boost the private sector in Oman.

He said: “The vision for Muscat University is to create a centre of excellence, where academic achievement directly contributes to the development of an entrepreneurial culture in Oman and a positive force for the expansion of the private sector.”

He went on to say: “We look forward to working with Isis Innovation who are global leaders in the fields of technology commercialisation and entrepreneurship education and who will help us to support the academic vision we have set out.”

Isis Innovation also stated: “the curriculum will be designed with the requirements of the private sector as a central focus and is expected, in the long-term, to show a positive influence on the growth of employment opportunities within the Sultanate.”

The university is set to open its foundation courses in 2016 and full undergraduate courses the following year, although major decisions on its precise location and size are yet to be taken.